It seems like everyone I know has been talking about things they cook with their Instant Pot. Now, the popular brand has a sous vide machine to add to their lineup. I always love multi-purpose machines since I like to keep the amount of stuff I own to a minimum. The Instant Pot sous vide and slow cooker is a worthwhile addition to my kitchen.
Instant Pot is a brand name that commonly refers to the Canadian company’s signature appliance, a popular multi-purpose item designed with convenience cooking in mind. Instant Pot was founded in 2010 and it didn’t take long before Robert Wang and his company achieved household name status.
Let’s take a look at the company’s foray into sous vide. And here is a link if you want to read more about slow cookers vs Crock Pots vs sous vide cooking methods.
Instant Pot Sous Vide Overview
- Multi Use Programmable Slow Cooker, 8 Qt; capacity oval design, stainless steel, non stick, removable cooking pot
- 11 Smart Programs ensure all your favorite dishes are prepared to perfection by simply pushing a button
- Sear/Sauté, Bake, Slow Cook, Steam, Stew, Sous Vide, Roast, Yogurt, Rice, Multigrain and Keep Warm
- Customize the cooking time and temperature to achieve your preferred cooking results
- 24 hour ‘Delay Start’ allows you to postpone the cooking start time to have dinner ready when you are
- Automatic Keep Warm function maintains your meal temperature until it is time to serve
Last update on 2019-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Multiple cooking methods available so you can get a lot of use of of this reasonably-priced appliance
- Sear, saute, bake, steam, stew, slow cook, roast, sous vide, and more options
- Makes yogurt, so you can get rid of your yogurt maker
- Makes rice, so you can get rid of your rice cooker
- I love the delay start feature that allows you to set it up and then program your start time so your meal will be perfectly timed
- You can throw the cooking pot in the dishwasher
- The 8 quart Instant Pot sous vide and slow cooker is a good size to make dinner and have leftovers
- Price is very good considering you can do a ton with this machine
- I’m a little concerned about trouble some customers have had with the thermostat going bad.
- It doesn’t give you a temperature reading when you’re using it for sous vide, so you can’t confirm that the temp is reached.
- It does not circulate the water when you’re doing sous vide cooking. (Not a con to me personally but to some sous vide cooks this could be a deal breaker.)
[easyazon_image align=”left” height=”500″ identifier=”B07GB8C52S” locale=”US” src=”https://sousvideideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/51OOg0Bqu3L.jpg” tag=”sousvideideas-20″ width=”500″]Some users have complained about the inability to set a specific cooking temperature for slow cooking and other methods.
Like other slow cookers, you kind of have to deal with cooking on low or cooking on high.
It may take some time to get to know the machine well enough for cooking recipes that really depend on precise cooking. (The sous vide temp settings on this unit are precise.)
The fact that it doesn’t circulate water when you’re on the sous vide mode is a little bit of an issue for some people.
The water temp stays nice and even without circulating. Whether this matters will be a personal choice.SEE MORE REVIEWS
Final Thoughts on the Instant Pot Sous Vide and Slow Cooker
I would recommend this machine to a friend. I’ve been happy with using it in my kitchen. Like any new appliance it does take a little bit of getting used to, but to be honest I am happy (and a little sad) to be able to get rid of my trusty rice maker because this machine has taken over the job. As far as sous vide cooking, I’m keeping my immersion circulator and using this one as an additional sous vide machine.
You can really do all kinds of things with this machine and I haven’t even gotten to all of them yet. I haven’t baked anything in it but that’s next on my list.
Set and forget is my favorite way to cook and this machine is my new BFF as far as that goes. I also love that it’s so easy to clean.