When you want to use the sous vide method one of the things you need to understand is what kind of bags are safe and good to use for sous vide, and which ones you should avoid at all costs. There are special bags for sous vide that can be used with or without a vacuum sealer, there are vacuum sealed pouches, and there are Ziploc bags. There is also the option of using reusable silicone bags. These are your options as far as sous vide bags go so let’s look at each one in detail so you know what you’ll be dealing with.
Reusable Sous Vide Bags
- ALL-IN-ONE Reusable Sous Vide Bags Kit includes all that you need for sous vide cooking or food storage
- MULTIPURPOSAL Use our vacuum storage bags food as a Sous Vide Bags, reusable food storage bags or sandwich bags, at home, work and travel, save space and keep your food fresh 5 times longer
- EASY TO USE Put your meal in the reusable Sous Vide Bag, seal it by using white clips, and pump out the air through the valve
- SAFETY It is safe to use our BPA free Food Vacuum Bags for freezing, microwave or cooking at high temperatures
- WARRANTY We provide 1 month MONEY BACK warranty. If the sous vide food bags kit has any quality issue, please, contact us for free replace or refund
The first type of sous vide bags we’ll look at are these reusable ones that are specifically means for sous vide. This is a nice option for a few reasons.
First, these are definitely food safe as they are designed for this cooking process, so they’re BPA-free, food grade, and made out of the safest material.
Secondly they are reusable, and this is helpful since one of the concerns with sous vide cooking is the fact that you’re always going through bags. People put these inside-out in the dishwasher and they come out ready for reuse.
And last but not least they can be used without having to own a vacuum sealer. This kit comes with a little pump that you use to remove the air to create a vacuum seal, albeit not as good as you’d get with a machine like the VacMaster Pro 380 that I am super fond of.
But this option is hundreds of dollars cheaper so… it just depends on how much vacuum sealing you intend to do, maybe just for storage purposes and not just for sous vide.
And one final thought on why these reusable sous vide bags are a good choice, unlike Ziplocs, they’re made to stand up to the long cooking times and high temps so you don’t have to worry about using Ziplocs for sous vide and having them come apart at the seams.
So that brings us to…
Vacuum Sealed Sous Vide Bags
- HIGH QUALITY: Safe, Nontoxic, good vacuum effect, high transparency, tensile strength and durability, easy to heat sealing, sealing good, not easy ageing etc.
- SAFE, CONVENIENT, RISK FREE: BPA-free,FDA approved. Can be microwaved, frozen, re-used, washed, boiled and dishwasher safe. Great for sous vide cooking.
- WORKS IN ALL VACUUM SEALER MACHINES: KtichenBoss vacuum sealer bags are designed to fit with all vacuum sealers.
- EASY TO PACK AND SEAL: 4 mil Heavy-duty bags with embossed air-removal channels for maximum freshness.
- POPULAR CONVENIENT BAG SIZE - 100 Quart 8"x12" Food Saver Bags perfect for vacuum sealing.
These are the bags you would use with a vacuum sealer.
This is my favorite way to go with sous vide cooking, and that is in part because I enjoy the process of vacuum sealing large batches of food at a time. The vacuum seal is better, of course, the bags are very durable, and like I alluded to before you can use a vacuum sealer for more than just sous vide so it’s just a nice thing to have on hand.
Vacuum sealer bags are BPA-free food grade and able to withstand sous vide’s long cooking times at temperatures of 158 degrees F and above. (That’s the cut-off temp for ZipLocs as we will see in a sec.)
Ziploc Bags for Sous Vide
- Perfect for freezing meat, poultry, fish, and more
- Designed exclusively to protect food against freezer burn
- Helps to preserve original flavor
Ziplocs are cheap and you can get them anywhere so of course they seem like the first choice for sous vide, especially if you’re a casual sous vide-er at this point. However, Ziplocs have limitations as to cook times and temps. I wouldn’t go over cook times of three, maybe four hours.
And you can’t go over 158 degrees F because you’ll be dealing with bags that come apart at the seams and basically ruin your whole cook.
Make sure you get the freezer bags because these are the only Ziploc bags that are durable enough for this cooking method.
Keep in mind also that you’ll have to use this water immersion technique to get the air out of your bags so you can start cooking. You’ll also need to clip the bag to the sous vide vessel you’re using. But this is a great way to go if you want to avoid or postpone investing in a good vacuum sealer.
Reusable Silicone Bags for Sous Vide
- 😋 Support High Temp Sous-Vide Cooking or Vacuum Cooking is a better way to keep nutrition of food, healthier than traditional cooking. Our Sous Vide Bags are designed for Sous Vide Cooking, supports high temperature up to 428 ℉ / 220 ℃, ensure better even heating and improve taste and flavour. (Boiling water is about 212 ℉ / 100 ℃)
- 😋 Healthy Material U-pick Sous Vide Bags are made of healthy food grade silicone, FDA approved. NO BPA, NO BPS, NO DEHP, NO Filler. As a competent kitchenware, Sous Vide Bag help you to cook without any negative affect to food.
- 😋 Versatile Use Our Sous Vide Bags work well with Instant Pot, Joule, Anova, ChefSteps, Kitchen Gizmo, Gramercy Kitchen, Gourmia, and more Immersion Circulators. Suitable for Dishwasher, microwave oven and refrigerator. And you could also make and roll dough with it. Now try a new way to cook roasts, steaks, chicken, fish and pork tenderloin and so on.
- 😋 Reusable These reusable Sous Vide Bags are allowed to turn inside out for easier and deeper cleaning, supports dish washer too. You can cook and wash for hundreds of times. Save plastic sous vide bags and be more eco-friendly.
- 😋 Great Service Our Sous Vide Bag is warranted for 6 Months. U-pick is concerned about your shopping experience on Amazon. Please feel free to email us if you need help. Thank you.
These silicone bags are intended for sous vide use so they can definitely withstand the temperatures and long cook times. They’re BPA-free and food grade.
And I will let you know right now that I personally have not done any sous vide cooking with these bags but I wanted to list them because they’re becoming more popular.
It looks like a good option to check out. It’s another low-cost way to get started. Bear in mind that you will have to use the water immersion technique with these like with the Ziplocs, and you’ll have to have some clips ready to attach them to your cooking vessel.
Last update on 2019-08-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API