I freaking love a nice vacuum sealer. I zen out with the whole vacuum sealing process. I find it kind of relaxing. Is that unusual? I don’t know, but it comes in handy around the kitchen since we always have nicely packed, fresh, delicious food in storage. It’s honestly one of the fun things about the whole process of sous vide cooking, in my opinion. But the trick is that you need a good vacuum sealer. I have discussed disappointing ones like the Sous Vide Supreme before but let’s keep it positive this time and talk about one of my favorites, the VacMaster Pro 380.
VacMaster is one of the companies making the best vacuum sealers out there right now. (Here is the other one.) So just by the brand name, and quite honestly the price point, you can have certain performance expectations going in.
VacMaster Pro 380 Overview
- Extend your food freshness up to five times longer than traditional storage systems.
- A longer 16" seal bar allows you to vacuum package wider bags or even two bags at once!
- Convenient roll cutter and storage built into the machine.
- With a new intuitive digital panel control, vacuum packaging hard cheeses, meals, veggies and even fish and game is incredibly easy.
- An extra wide seal wire gives heavy-duty, leak-proof protection.
Last update on 2019-11-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Has a cutter built-in so you can make your bags different sizes
- You can do a lot of vacuum sealing with it without worrying about letting it rest or cool down — great for the long sessions I like to do
- It handles fish nicely, probably the best vacuum sealer for fish that I’ve used
- 16-inch sealing bar so you can seal extra large bags or seal two at a time
- Easy to clean due to sleek, commercial-style design
- Heavy-duty dual-piston vacuum pump
- Quality construction built to last
- One-year warranty
- The price is perhaps the only con that I can really come up with here. If you want a good vacuum sealer you have to spend a little more but the difference in quality of your food packages will be noticeable and the unit should last longer than the less expensive models.
VacMaster Pro 380 Vacuum Sealer Highlights
A lot of fishing goes on around here and sometimes fish is tough on a vacuum sealer, and as I said I think this is the best one I’ve used for fish. (Other than a thousand-dollar-ish unit like the Ary VacMaster VP215 chamber vacuum sealer, which is what you should get if you want the absolute best option here.)
My vacuum-packed food pouches get stashed all over the kitchen. Freezer, fridge, pantry. I like to make a ton of sous vide-ready packs at once and put them in the freezer. These come out so well vacuum packed with this unit that I can’t believe I ever bothered with a cheap one.
But I learned my lesson.
If you’re able to, it’s better to spend the money one time and buy a good one than to have to deal with replacing cheaper/inferior ones over time. With vacuum sealers and just about anything else.
I love the range of sizes you can seal up with this unit. It’s more efficient to be able to cut your own size and it leads to less waste. You’ll also have the option of using pre-cut, ready-made vacuum bags with the Pro 380 machine. I like that it will hold a 50-foot roll of bags neatly within the unit.
The 16-inch seal bar takes care of just about any food package you could come up with.
The clear lid makes it easy to see what you’re doing, which is nice. And at 14 x 19 x 6 1/2 inches, it doesn’t take up too much space so it’s easy to make room on the counter. The sleek, restaurant build quality is another thing I like about it, and it’s easy to clean.
Pro 380 Settings:
You’ll have a range of vacuum settings including minimum (23 hg), medium (25 hg), and maximum (27.5 hg). The unit also allows you to select a manual vacuum setting ranging from 20 hg to 27.5 hg. I like this extra bit of fine-tuning that this vacuum sealer offers.
You can adjust the seal time from 0.5 to 9.0, with a setting of zero indicating no sealing.
If the amount of vacuum sealer that you do is more than just an occasional thing then it is in your best interest to get a vacuum sealer that will last and not frustrate you after a few weeks or months.
The VacMaster Pro 380 is a heavy duty machine that you can use for hours without having to deal with overheating or other common issues. Custom bag sizes make this unit versatile for any kind of food and can save you on the cost of bags.