As someone who spent many, many years working in food service, I have a deep fondness for commercial-grade equipment and I’m always happy when I can use it in my own kitchen. Is that odd? My mom thinks so, but if you’ve ever worked in a restaurant kitchen then you get it. The Weston 65 0201 Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer, Silver is the type of thing that makes me happy.
It makes a killer vacuum sealer for sous vide at a reasonable price point. It’s a good choice if you don’t want to go full-on with the Ary VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer that I’m pretty gaga over.
Right off the bat I’m going to say that this unit has the durable build and sleek look of restaurant equipment but it won’t be over-the-top in your kitchen.
Weston 65 0201 Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer, Silver, Overview
- Powerful, Pro performance; Heavy duty construction and 935 watts of power make this vacuum sealer powerful
- Quick and easy; Just press start; Double piston pump seal bar finishes the job fast; It’s the perfect tool for preserving your prized catch or preparing your garden vegetables for freezing
- Seals through moisture; Extra wide, 5 millimeters seal bar creates a solid, dependable seal every time; Seal wild game, fish and more
- Manual seal mode; Allows control over the amount of VACUUM pressure for soft delicate foods
- Fits a variety of bag sizes; Extra long 15 inches (38 centimeters) seal bar means you can seal up to 15 inches across; Compatible with Food Saver and Ziploc bags
- Designed for continuous use; Fan cooled motor designed specifically for continuous, repetitive use without overheating
Sturdy stainless steel construction.
2-year manufacturer warranty.
Seals bags up to 15 inches wide.
935 watts of power
Transparent lid lets you get the pouch lined up just right
Manual seal mode
[easyazon_image align=”left” height=”500″ identifier=”B001GP81R2″ locale=”US” src=”https://sousvideideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/41wwIDzRwHL.jpg” tag=”sousvideidea-20″ width=”500″]How it Works
One of the nice features of this vacuum sealer is the manual seal mode.
This allows you to have control over what you’re doing so you don’t manhandle the food in the pouch — some foods are delicate and you want to use a lighter touch so you don’t end up with a pouch full of smashed food that looks like it got run over by a truck.
We like our sous vide pouches to look appetizing, whether you’re using them right away or stashing them in the freezer.
The Weston 65 0201 Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer (Silver) can run for hours at a time so if you like to take care of large batches of food at a time this unit is for you.
Unlike chamber vacuum sealers, you can’t really vacuum seal liquids or liquidy foods with this unit. Well, you can, but the only way to do it would be to put the food in a freezable container, and then put it in the freezer, then remove the frozen food and put it into pouches to seal. This process will take away some of the fresh quality of your food but it’s a decent workaround for one of this unit’s few shortcomings. Maybe the only shortcoming.
The company says the unit can perform one seal every 20 seconds.
In short, this is a great unit for sous vide cooking. You’ll have pro-looking food pouches and the seal quality is excellent, so you won’t have your pouches coming apart during the sous vide process. It’s a slight step up in cost from some of the popular vacuum sealers used for sous vide, but the difference in quality is substantial.
If you want to read about one of the big names in vacuum sealers that I do not recommend for sous vide, check this article out. It will give you some perspective on the kinds of hassles you can avoid by going with the Weston 65 0201 Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer. Silver is the color that will really give you that slick restaurant look, if you’re into that. I mean it is pretty good looking for a vacuum sealer.